Do you want to learn more about making the perfect balanced smoothie?
I often work with clients who enjoy smoothies a few times a week. But, I frequently hear the majority of the smoothie is made from fruit. Fruit is one of nature’s many gifts, but can also spike blood sugar the same way a bowl of cereal or a bagel can. This would likely leave you hungry about an hour after you’re done. Keeping your blood sugar stable throughout the day is key to feeling good and staying healthy.
Balance is the key to getting abundant nutrients and feeling satiated for up to 4 hours after you’ve enjoyed your meal or smoothie.
When I talk to my clients about smoothies, I often reference this diagram of a Healthy Plate. That means combining the right proportions of protein, fat and fiber in your smoothie as well as on your plate.
I don’t consider myself a smoothie master by any means, so keeping proportions for balance helps me decide what to put in. I’d rather be playful and creative about nutrition rather than get too strict about, so I don’t really measure. I encourage my clients to try the same if they’re comfortable. If not, there are always well balanced smoothie recipes on line for those who prefer to be exact!
This is my breakfast today and I thought I’d share it with you, so you can get a better picture of what a balanced smoothie looks like in the blender.
What’s in it?
ALL of this organic goodness.
- FAT AND FIBER: A dash of coconut water and coconut milk (you can see how much I used out of the open can and in the blender picture above)
- FIBER: About a teaspoon of flax seeds
- FAT AND FIBER: 1/4 avocado
- VITAMINS/MINERALS: 1/2 banana
- FIBER/ANTIOXIDANT: Handful of frozen blueberries
- ANTIOXIDANT/IMMUNE SUPPORT: About a teaspoon of mulberries
- FLAVOR AND CAN LOWER BLOOD SUGAR: Dash of cinnamon
- MINERALS/ADRENALS: Dash of sea salt
- PROTEIN: Scoop of Collagen powder
- ANTI-INFLAMMATORY: Turmeric
- ANTI-INFLAMMATORY: Ginger
- VITAMINS/MINERALS/ANTIOXIDANT:1/4 teaspoon of Chlorella
- BLOOD SUGAR/MOOD: 1/4 teaspoon of Ashwaganda
- FIBER/VITAMINS/MINERALS: Assortment of Mixed Greens and Celery
Smoothies can be just as delicious, abundant and satiating without all the bells and whistles from my list above. Start out with a good protein powder, healthy fats, lots of greens and a little fruit. Don’t take yourself too seriously and have fun. Your body will thank you!
Book a Complimentary Consult
You Deserve to be a WELL HUMAN.